Common Myths About Stockpiling Water

When it comes to water there is no denying the need we have. I would hope that by now you have read the several articles we have written about water supplies and the best way to store your water. I would also hope that you understand the basics of how to purify your own water through the boil, bleach, and iodine methods. Now when it comes to myths there are a lot of them out there. Especially concerning the amount of water you need and the ways in which you can get it. So let’s look at some of the most common myths.

  1. I’m Covered Because I Have Pool

Congratulations on having a pool. I am thankful to know that you have a great place to get some water and that you also have peace of mind concerning your long-term water supply. But there is something that you need to know. Swimming pools have a ton of chemicals in them that are not safe for human consumption. Small amounts of the algaecide and other chemicals might not harm you but when you ingest large quantities of this water it could be toxic.

Plus, your pool is not a mobile unit. What are you going to do if you have to leave your home? A pool might be ok for a short term issue at best, but it is not an answer to your long term water storage needs.

  1. “Shock” Will Purify All Of My Water

So the idea is technically correct but there are more things to keep in mind. Pool shock is a chemical that typically has many other ingredients. The main ingredient is calcium hypochlorite. However there are additives such as algaecides and even bacterium that can and will harm you long-term.

There are a few places that I have found that offer a product with 100% CH, but those are few and far between. The best thing to do is to find a shock that has a minimum of 75% CH and only has INERT ingredients added. This is essential.

  1. Boiling Water For 1 Minute Kills Everything

How many times have you seen a novice make this mistake on the Internet? It would appear that almost all of the “survivalist” on the Internet are simply trying to make a few dollars. Keep in mind that while boiling will kill most of the pathogens, there are some that will not be killed. A great example is botulism which requires a temperature higher than 212 to be killed. It is impossible to heat water past its boiling point unless you are using a pressure cooker so you need to be careful. While this is rare it is still true.

Further, you need to keep in mind that different elevations will change the boiling point. The higher you travel the lower the temperature for boiling. This simply means that you might need to change the amount of time that you boil your water before using it. Water that is heated past 158 degrees F will kill most pathogens within 30 minutes. Temperatures above 185 degrees F will do this in less than 5 minutes!

  1. My Dog Drinks It!

Ok, I know that your pet is your friend and that you love him/her dearly. But animals are stupid. Plus, animals are also made a little differently than us humans. Sure we have a similar body makeup and the immune system is basically the same, but there are things that animals can eat that we cannot eat.

Just because your dog or cat can drink certain water does not mean that you can. Remember, your dog will gladly drink from the toilet and be fine. You, on the other hand, will not be ok. This is why E. Coli is so bad for us and it doesn’t bother your animals.

  1. Urine Is Drinkable

I know you are going to remind me that Bear Grylls drank his on urine on television. I am well aware of this and I was actually watching the show when it happened. Not only was it disgusting but it was stupid as well. Sure, it is possible to drink your urine but there are a few things you need to know. The longer you go without water the more toxic your urine will become.

The kidneys are pumping out toxins, salt, and other electrolytes in your urine. The waste is expelled for a reason. It does not belong in your body. While roughly 93% of the urine is made of water, there are other components and that is the real issue here. While you might be able to drink your urine for a small period of time, you are in essence drinking salt water. This will have the opposite effect on your hydration and it will make your kidneys shut down. If you want to drink your urine for a bet…go for it. If you want to stay alive long term…don’t drink your urine.

What are some other common water storage myths that you have encountered?

Newsletter
Get Our Weekly Newsletter
  • Our Round-up of Fresh Prepping Articles From the Previous Week.
  • Exclusive Homesteading & Prepping Tips & Contests!

About Ms. Prepper

I’m Laura P, aka, Passion Prepper, aka, Storage Prepper! I’ve been homesteading nearly all my life and prepping for the last 6 years. I strongly believe our great country of America was built on self-sufficient families like mine and yours. Politics bores me, learning new stuff, getting outside and living life thrills me.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *